We are so humbled by your belief, trust, and partnership with the vision of ODW. In response to the devastating earthquake in Haiti on January 12, we immediately set up the Haiti Relief and Rebuild Fund.
Our board personally pledged $5,000 from our Giving Fund to the relief efforts in hopes that our community would at least be able to match and donate an additional $5,000. But in the hours after we set up the fund on our website, we were absolutely blown away at the response and support from the ODW community and beyond. As a result, the board and staff – in faith – set the goal to $100,000 to support our two partners in Haiti – World Concern and Partners in Health.
And over this past weekend, we surpassed the $100,000 goal!
We want to take this opportunity to thank all of you who chose to partner with us. In addition to hundreds of private donations, we had so many amazing and creative partners:
- we had schools like this elementary school
- we had many churches like this one in Texas
- we had benefit concerts such as Love for Haiti
- we had high schoolers throw an amazing event to raise $10,000
- we had people from our Facebook page give from around the world
- we had other NGOs join our efforts like Krochet International who raised $3182 by creating and selling 7 unqiue krochet hats
- a couple hosting two dinners to raise $2950 – a la Fishes & Loaves
- And so many more…!
You did it. We did it. Thank you.
Beyond simply “reaching” a goal, know that your generosity literally helped save thousands of lives.
Recently, our founder, Eugene Cho, was invited to Haiti by World Concern – to assess the relief efforts thus far and the dramatic work that still needs to take place to help Haitians rebuild Haiti. We are still researching, talking, and strategizing about the “next phase” of ODW's participation in the rebuilding efforts and we hope that you'll consider partnering with us again.
Meeting this challenge reminds us again that while most of us may not be rock stars, billionaires, or on Hollywood's A-list, we can all make an impact in the fight against extreme global poverty.
Be encouraged. We are making a difference in the world.
Photos: Courtesy of World Concern's Flickr Account