Project #76 | Investing in Girls Education in Afghanistan

Our partnership with Sahar

Many girls in Afghanistan risk ending their education early due to a lack of female teachers. Only 40% of girls are in school in Afghanistan, leaving 60% of girls uneducated and with limited access to improving their future potential. Without this project, many women in the rural villages would be forced to quit their education because it is too dangerous to travel hours to school six days a week. There is a dramatic lack of female teachers and without these funds to help young women attend classes at the Teacher Training Center, this trend would continue, leaving increasing amount of girls uneducated. 

Our partnership with Sahar provided secure transportation for 59 young women from rural areas to the the regional Teacher Training Center six days a week, a route that is potentially dangerous for young women seeking teacher training. After the training, each teacher is eligible to take the qualifying exam for certification. These teachers will provide an essential resource for their community, as they will allow girls to continue their education, an opportunity that would not be possible without them. Research shows that educating girls can have a great impact on all parts of society and the economy. Educated girls tend to delay marriage, have fewer and healthier children, and they are able to increase their family’s income through better jobs.

Our collective impact

Potential Students Impacted

Women Received Access to Teacher Training

People Impacted

Meet Madina

Madina, a 20 year old girl who recently graduated from the Science department at the TTC, traveled from Qarshegak every day. She said that her father is a laborer and they are not in a good financial situation. She is also jobless and goes to TTC every day. She is very thankful for the transportation stipend that allowed her to attend classes at the TTC. She said: “It is almost 40 minutes from our village to TTC and sometime we go by Zaranaj and sometimes we could catch a car. Zaranaj is better because it has space for 15 girls and it is cheaper. The street is not good. We are wearing Burqa because of Taliban in our way. I am happy that I finished TTC.” Madina wasn’t able to join to the exam in Balkh TTC in order for her to continue two more years of her education. She said: “My father do not allow me to join to exam. Our village is very far from Mazar city so it’s very much dangerous to go to the city every day.”

*Name and picture changed for security purposes.

Thank you for making this possible!

Our movement is grassroots, to us that not only means the work on the ground is led by local leaders with the support of the community, but it also means that we raise the funds for our projects through everyday donors just like you. In addition to all the donors that gave $25, $100, or $250 and the campaigners that ran a race or donated their birthday to raise funds, we also want to thank our generous business, school, and faith sponsors who believed in our work and joined the movement.

If you want to support future projects like this you can make a donation to our girls’ empowerment fund.

                 tiktok logo


One Day's Wages is a grassroots movement of people, stories, and actions to alleviate extreme global poverty

©2022 One Day's Wages is a registered 501(c)(3) organization | Tax ID #26-2566653 | Privacy policy | Terms of use

P.O. BOX 17575 Seattle, WA 98127 | Contact us