One Day’s Wages (ODW) is looking for a passionate and driven person to join our grassroots organization as our Communications and Design Director. As a movement of people, stories, and actions, our Communications Director plays a crucial role in building that movement and telling those stories with integrity and passion. This person will work closely with our Executive Director and Grants Director to creatively tell our story to our community and convey our impact. This person will oversee all communication channels including social media, website, blogging, impact reports, and public relations; they will drive the content and design to ensure ODW’s voice is conveyed with excellence and consistency.
The ideal candidate for this position is adaptable, creative, self-motivated, and organized. We are looking for someone who enjoys leading collaboratively on a small team in a startup-like environment and can problem-solve when issues arise.
As a small, grassroots organization, everyone does a little bit of everything to build the vision of ODW. This role can be broken down to approximately 80% Communications and 20% Operations support. The responsibilities can be broken down into the following categories:
Graphic/Creative Design + Brand Management
- Visual and graphic design for branding, campaigns, and messaging. Design projects also include mailers, annual report, gala visuals, merchandising, etc.
- Produce original video shorts to engage community on all platforms
- Capture and edit photos from our events and partners consistent with core branding and values
- Design shareable graphics to drive engagement and underscore key message
- Assist in annual gala planning for cohesive event design.
Social Media + Email + Text Marketing
- Create and implement communications strategy for weekly, monthly, quarterly campaigns including donor acquisition and stewardship that will complement and support annual development goals.
- Produce social media output + quarterly analytics reports
- Develop strategy for targeting ads, texts, and emails to the right audience
- Stays up to date on social media best practices, often testing content
Web Content + Impact Reporting
- Website design and maintenance.
- Main writer and Editor in Chief of ODW’s blog with the goal of establishing ODW’s voice with consistent and engaging content
- Manage the creation and publication of new partner project pages and ODW campaign pages and SEO strategy with Executive Director.
- Produce reports to convey impact of projects for web, social, and physical handouts
Partnership Development + Admin
- Engage our granting partners through the fundraising and reporting phase of our relationship to ensure they have all the tools and assets to be successful
- Develop relationships with key social influencers to help share ODW stories
- Supports the Development Director in donor engagement and procurement
- Manage interns and/or volunteers to help with social media posting
- Strong planning and organizational skills; ability to work independently and within a team; ability to work under pressure and demonstrate initiative.
- Working knowledge of design programs such as Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, Indesign, Premier Pro, Illustrator, etc.
- Outstanding storytelling skills through both the written and visual form; Commitment to principles of ethical storytelling and community centric fundraising.
- Understanding of current best practices and key ideas around content creation and marketing
- Expertise in social media platforms including Twitter, Tiktok, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn
- Working knowledge and experience with WordPress or similar platform
- Proven ability to grow and engage audiences, along with understanding of how to measure and build upon that success
- Photography experience along with good working knowledge of Photoshop/Illustrator, Canva, or similar creative tools
- Working experience in Mailchimp or similar email marketing platform
- Basic familiarity with video editing tools and process to produce original content
- Growing awareness and commitment to issues of extreme global poverty and international development
Details and how to apply:
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Type: Full time, 40 hrs/week
- Location: Seattle, WA, remote possible
- Salary: $55K-$67K (depending on experience) plus stipend for benefits.
- Ideal start date: September 1, 2022 (or earlier)
- Before submitting an application, be sure to read our Founders’ Story and carefully review some of our past projects to make sure you share our values.
Please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Cover letter should include the following info:
- Why do you want to work at One Day’s Wages?
- How does your previous experience/education qualify you for this position?
- Links to social media handles you’ve worked with and/or website or portfolio of work