- Contact Us
$44.38 in Perspective
We recently received a donation of coins. In fact, it was literally hundreds of coins. The coins came from Ms. Mayo's 1st grade class at Whittier Elementary School.
The total amount from these 1st grade students?
I know what most of you are thinking:
"Nice story but does it really matter?
You're right. It won't change the entire world but let's put it in perspective.
- Approximately 80% of the world live on less than $10US/day.
- Approximately 3 billion people live on less than $2US/day
- Approximately 1.4 billion people live on or less than $1.25US/day (the definition of extreme global poverty).
Want more perspective?
- $1 provides one person clean water for 1 year.
- $10 can purchase a bed net to help prevent malaria.
- $45 can pay the annual school tuition for one child in numerous parts of the world.
- $100 can provide a woman with a sewing machine, training, a goat, and a fresh start kit.
Yes, you're absolutely right that $44.38 won't end global poverty but let's give our cynicism a rest:
It can impact some person's life.
And by someone, we're not talking about a fictitious and nebulous statistic but a real person...a real human being. I love Mother Teresa's wisdom:
If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one.
- Eugene | Founder of ODW
Ways to Donate
Use this page to select an organization and donate online using your credit card.
Checks should be made payable to: One Day's Wages. Please write "Giving Fund" or the specific project/fund you are giving towards.
Wire donations, stock transfers, or estate planning. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mailing address:One Day's Wages
P.O. Box 19535
Seattle, WA 98109
ODW is a 501(c)(3) organization. All donations are tax-deductible. 100% of your donations (minus credit card transaction costs) go directly to specific projects to alleviate global poverty.